Thursday, April 19, 2007

Current Events

Watching the news these days is sad and often frustrating. I have a few random thoughts on our "current events."

Don Imus - What he said was wrong, no question about it. However, I really doubt he meant to be malicious. He probably thought he was being "hip" or "cool". Maybe he thought it was funny. It was not. It was hurtful, mean-spirited and in bad taste, at least. Should he have been fired? I don't know. I could argue that either way. I don't really like censorship, as a rule. But if sponsors pull their money out, that is their right too.

Hip/Hop Artists who use the same words - Still wrong. I know this is a very controversial topic, but I do not think it is OK for them to do it either.

Virginia Tech tragedy - Unbelievably sad. I mourn for those families who lost loved ones and the other students who have been effected by this. This young man was troubled and showed all sorts of warning signs. People we already afraid of him.

News commentators and "experts" speaking on the tragedy - I have heard lots about what an open campus VT is and how security needs to be tightened on campuses everywhere. While there may be some truth to that, it would not have changed what happened this week. HE WAS ONE OF THEM. The tightest of security around the campus would not have stopped this guy. He was already there.

Rosie O'Donnell - She is getting on my nerves. Big time. I want to tell her that just because she states her opinion more often, very loudly and with much feeling, this does not make her more correct.

Enough of that, but I feel better for getting it off my chest.

We are supposed to go camping Friday night. Oh joy. Can't wait.

Jonathan's baseball games start May 24, then Jackson's softball games start May 30. They have several games on the same nights. In different places. Should be fun.

No comments: