Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Christ-mas?

This is something that has been on my mind for several days now. Having been raised in The Church of Christ, I was taught that we do not celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday. It is not Christ's birthday. I understand this. We never had manger scenes in our house or yard, nor did we send cards with "Jesus is the reason for the season" on them.

Here is the problem: apparently there are people out there in the world who want to change Christmas to just the "Winter Holiday." They want to take Jesus out of Christmas. Well, hmmm......I have to say that I don't really want that either. While I may not want to celebrate Jesus' "birthday", it worries me that people want to take Jesus out of everything. As Christians I think we should all be concerned when this sort of thing is suggested. This is a threat to Christianity and I think we need to stand up against it.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

SG said...

Question: What is so wrong about celebrating Christ's birth on Decmember 25th even if it isn't his real birthday? My birthday is (as you know) December 18th but most of my parties were on December 12th or 10th. AND What did we CofC'ers hope to prove by making Christmas more about Santa and less about Christ? I grew up the same way and I honestly can not explain why Christians would want to take Christ out of anything. Is it any wonder that a world who refuses to know Christ would want to take him out of the most celebrated holiday in the world? After all, some of his "own people" feel or have felt the same way.

I don't think we have to make any formal declarations about Christ being the center of the season if he is the center of our lives. He is the reason for all our seasons. No one can diminish or take that away. And If someone never talks to any other time but sends you a birthday card every year, are you upset with them about the acknowledgement? NO You just hope for more contact the other 364 days a year. I think that is How Jesus looks on all this... but what do I know? :)

SG said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUSAN! WILL CALL YOU SOON! :)

Mae said...

It's your birthday?!?!? Happy, happy birthday to you!!! :)