Friday, November 18, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

The kids are out of school all next week. We are going to spend Thanksgiving Day with Mark's family in Crossett, Arkansas. The weather finally feels like Fall. Life is pretty good.

Do you remember this song? I really only knew the first verse, but it reminds me of Thanksgiving. I copied this from one of my childhood poetry books.

Everybody sing:

Thanksgiving Day

Over the river and through the wood,
To grandfather’s house we go;
The horse knows the way
To carry the sleigh
Through the white and drifted snow.

Over the river and through the wood –
Oh, how the wind does blow!
It stings the toes
And bites the nose,
As over the ground we go.

Over the river the through the wood
Trot fast, my dapple-gray!
Spring over the ground
Like a hunting hound!
For this is Thanksgiving Day.

Over the river and through the wood,
And straight to the barnyard gate.
We seem to go
Extremely slow, -
It is so hard to wait!

Over the river and through the wood,
Now grandmother’s cap I spy!
Hurrah for the fun!
Is the pudding done?
Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!
By Lydia Maria Child

2 comments:

SG said...

Funny I always thought that was an intro into a Christmas song! SO figures that someone took the only Thanksgiving song and made it a Christmas song.

Speaking of Thanksgiving I am very thankful for YOU!!! :) Happy Turkey Day!

Antique Mommy said...

I wish I had checked your site earlier last week! We were singing this song all the way up to Smalltown, Texas to see the in-laws (a 2 hr drive)with the boy, but we only knew the first verse and so after about the first 20 minutes we started making up our own lyrics to amuse ourselves. Hopefully Sean won't remember any of them.