Sunday, June 18, 2006

How Are You Today?

How often do we say or hear that phrase on a daily basis? Usually I answer without thinking, or I might complain just a little. Something happened this morning that made me stop and think about my words.

A few months ago tragedy struck my church and my neighborhood. Earl McGhee was, I believe, struggling with terminal cancer. He and his wife lived in the same neighborhood as we do and we attended the same church. I did not really know them, but recognized Nina when I saw her. Earl was receiving treatment for his cancer in Little Rock, but they had come home for a few days. Nina left to run some errands here in town and while she was gone, Earl went out to the garage and shot himself.

I have seen Nina at church a few times since then, but always from a distance. She appeared to be doing well.

In the meantime, my busy life has rolled on. We have been taking the boys to this thing and that thing this summer. I have been having allergy issues and other pesky aches and pains. Last week we were all at Cub Scout Day Camp. Those were long, hot days. The boys and I were so tired that Saturday we did a lot of nothing. We are still tired today. Mark has been working a lot and when he is home he is busy mowing the grass or doing other necessary things around the house. It feels like we never have time to sit down and have a nice meal together at home.

This morning I came face to face with Nina McGhee. I looked at her and asked in all sincerity how she was doing. She replied that she was doing alright. And then she did the polite Southern thing and asked how was I doing? Looking at her and knowing what she had been through, I said "I am good." And I really meant it. Her polite question put things into perspective for me.

Despite all the craziness in my life right now, I would not change it. Life is good.

How are you today?

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

I heard about that story in our bible class a few weeks back. Their son in law is good friends with our preacher. Funny how we are all connected.

Anonymous said...

I am good, because chasing around a contakerous 2-year-old is good. It's very good.