Thursday, July 29, 2004

Home

What makes a place a home?  I'm thinking about towns really, not houses.  My husband and I lived in Ft. Worth, Texas for 8 years but for a long time Arkansas was home.  Ft. Worth started to feel like home when we had children and bonded with a bunch of people also starting families.  This would include my dear friend Stephanie.  There were several of us living there in Ft. Worth whose families lived hours away.  I think it is fair to say we sort of became a family.  Church brought us together with so many wonderful people.

We have been here in Conway for almost a year and we still miss Texas, but it is getting better.  Conway is starting to feel like home.  It is not my hometown, but it is my parents hometown.  This is where I came to visit my grandparents and cousins.  We spent many Thanksgivings here.  I went to college here at UCA.  My parents moved back here and Mark's are 45 minutes away.  We have "real" family here. And we are starting to meet people through church and the kids schools.  We are getting to the point where this is home now.

Because of the special friends we made in Ft. Worth and the life changing events (namely having children) we all went through together, it will always hold a special place in our memories.  But it is the friends we made there that made it home. 

Family and friends are what make a home, not just a town or a house.  Home is a special place where you feel safe and loved.  Wherever that is.





1 comment:

SG said...

You know we always talked of moving back to be with our families in the Fort Worth Days...then we all did. Now we talk of getting back with our family of friends. How lucky we are to have family all over now!